Make sure to cite your sources and include a Works Cited in your summary responses.
How many paragraphs should this essay have?
From the image above, you can see that there are certain moves you have to make to complete the essay. Here is a sample essay format. Yours may be different or similar.
- Start with a hook
- Introduce the topic and conversation
- State your thesis or position
- Introduce the article
- Summarize the main points
- State your response clearly to the article
- Use template to set it up
- Add something to the conversation
- Add an idea or a personal example
- Add an opposing viewpoint
- Summarize points and restate argument
- Answer the so what questions
- Connect this to something bigger
- What do you want your reader to take away?
This will look different for every paper, but there needs to be some organization and build up to the conclusion.
Purdue OWL MLA Citation Guide Go here for updated MLA.
MLA was updated June 2016 to the 8th edition. If you learned it before that, there are many small changes that you have to learn.
Here is a good explanation of citations in MLA.
Here is the format:
Author(s). “Article Title.” Source, vol. #, no. #, season year, pp. xx-xx. Database, URL.
Kong, Les. “Business Sources for Education Majors.” Education Graduate Students Journal, vol. 75, no. 4, 2014, pp. 12-19. JSTOR, http://www.jstor.org/stable/52506788.
We will be going over the 8th edition MLA citation Style. You can look under our resources page for MLA or APA guides. There are three things to consider for each style guide you use:
- Page Formatting
- In-Text Citations
- Works Cited/References Page
Here is a Power Point presentation covering MLA style 8th edition and the recent changes.
Let’s cite an article together.
What questions do you have?
Make changes to your draft. I will come around and help.
What changes are you going to make to your essay?