American Identity Analysis Essay
Take into consideration two texts we have read so far, one must be from the current period. Compare and contrast how they each represent American ideals and/or American identity.
For Example: Compare and contrast Anne Bradstreet and Judith Sargent Murray’s representation of American identity.
Purpose: To analyze how the authors have added to or helped define American Identity.
- 1500 – 2000 words
- Two scholarly sources
- MLA and Works Cited
- American Identity Analysis
- Clear Thesis
- At least one image
- Rough Draft Due 10/16
- Final Draft Due 10/23 posted on class blog
An analysis of a literary work may discuss:
- How the various components of an individual work relate to each other.
- How two separate literary works deal with similar concepts or forms.
- How concepts and forms in literary works relate to larger aesthetic, political, social, economic, or religious contexts.
Evidence and Support
Include examples from the text:
- Direct quotations
- Summaries of scenes
Cite other critics’ opinions
Discuss the text’s historical and social context
Always remember to read carefully and highlight useful
passages and quotes.