A theme is a central idea in a piece of writing or other work of art.
What theme or themes did you notice in “Woman Hollering Creek?”
Analysis vs Summary
Summary versus Analysis. What is the difference?
What does it mean to analyze literature?
Analysis : detailed examination of the elements or structure of something.
“Woman Hollering Creek”
What are some themes, recurring topics or ideas, that you have noticed?
Lets come up with a list of characters.
Start with what interests you, to develop a point of analysis. You can choose a character, theme, issue, context, patterns, metaphors, authors style or language, etc. What is standing out to you and then you can develop that into a thesis.
You will be arguing that your analysis of the work is valid.
In Woman Hollering Creek, Sandra Cisneros is recasting traditional negative Mexican female archetypes in a positive light.
Focus on Thesis and Structure
One way to organize your analysis essay:
- Introduce the text and state your arguable thesis.
- Body paragraphs 1-3,4,5,6??? cite passages and explain how each supports your thesis and interpretation.
- Conclusion, sum up your interpretation in light of your analysis
- Document Sources, works cited.
You can choose other ways of organizing, as long as it is clear and makes sense.
What is the purpose of a citation? When is the use of a citation appropriate?
What is a Literary Analysis?
The Art of Quoting
Why do these need support? Where can you find it?
- Introduce the quotation p. 46
- Quote, relevant
- Explain Quotation p. 47
Find a good meaty quote from the story today. Practice writing the quotation sandwich.
Comment below with your quote sandwich.
- Why are citations important?
- How did you find support for the claims?
- Is it wrong to not cite sources? Why or Why not?
- How would you feel if your ideas or work were used without giving you credit?