Why America is Self-Segregating
In small groups, cover your section and figure out the main points, examples, takeaways, need to knows.
- Intro 219
- Privatizing the Military 221
- A Self-Segregated Life 223
- Diversity is Hard 225
You will have six minutes to figure out the main points. Pick a scribe, and a presenter. Write the points up on the board. The presenter will have 2 minutes to explain the main points.
Ethos is about values. In rhetoric we connect ethos to character, credibility, and trustworthiness. At their core, these concepts have to do with values. We tend to believe and trust those individuals who exemplify the values we cherish, who live the sort of life that we would want to live. Ethos Handout from University of Maryland
Ethos is inferred, NOT possessed. Five strategies for persuading through character.
- Personal info
- Identification with Audience
- Point of View
- Balanced Presentation
5 Ways to Persuade with Character (Ethos) | How to Craft an Argument
Using Rhetoric Notes
Audience is quite possibly the most important thing to consider when writing an argument. You need to appeal to them, understand their problems, values, and beliefs, in order to convince them of your point of view.
- Who your audience is should influence how you present your argument.
- Who your audience is should influence how you present yourself.
- Who is your audience?
- Determine what is important to your audience. What do they really care about? What do they value?
- Are your reasons in line with those values?
Why I, as a black man, attend KKK rallies. | Daryl Davis | TEDxNaperville
Arguing a Solution
- Position. Take a clear position on an arguable topic.
- Reasons. Develop main reasons, keeping audience in mind.
- Evidence. Support all reasons with strong research.
- Opposition. Acknowledge the opposing argument and take it out.
Agree or Disagree with a Reading from our Textbook
- Summarize the article and argument.
- Agree or Disagree but add something.
- Incorporate research to argue your position.