Quick Write 1
What monster or category of monster are you thinking about researching for your Causal Analysis?
Understanding Causal Relationships
Causality: the relationship of cause and effect
You should identify the types of causal relationships on your charts (you might use different types of arrows, different colors, or simply labels to show what kind of cause is being mapped).
- Necessary Cause: any factor that must be in place for something to occur.
- Sufficient Cause: is a condition that always produces the effect in question.
- Precipitating Cause: the proverbial straw that breaks a camel’s back.
- Proximate Cause: nearby and often easy to spot.
- Remote Cause: may act at some distance from an event but be closely tied to it.
- Reciprocal Cause: you have a reciprocal situation when a cause leads to an effect that, in turn, strengthens the cause.
- Contributing Factors: add to the causes to bring about the effect.
Quick Write 2
Research or come up with two examples of causal relationships. Explain how the relationship occurs.
Example: Sufficient Cause. Pulling a trigger will always fire the gun.
The Survival Of The Slasher Film
1. Emphasizing Causes
- Why did X happen?
- Why does X happen?
- Why will X happen?
Example: Why did Ed Gein kill those women?
- Cause 1 – ____________________________
- Cause 2 – ____________________________
- Cause 3 – ____________________________
- Event – ______________________________
2. Emphasizing Effects
- What did X produce?
- What does X produce?
- What will X produce?
Quick Write 3
What impact did Ed Gein have in pop culture?
- Event – _______________________________
- Effect 1 – ______________________________
- Effect 2 – ______________________________
- Effect 3 – ______________________________
3. Causal Chain
Cause > Effect 1 > Effect 2 > Effect 3
Example: Ed Gein > Psycho novel > Psycho movie > Slasher Films > Silence of the Lambs
Causal Analysis video