End of Cisneros’ Stories
The last stories are much more subtle in their messages than the first stories. To understand these stories you need to read carefully, closely, in between the lines. Try to figure out what is the author’s purpose.
- Why did the author write this?
- What is the author’s purpose?
- What is the lesson or message?
There was a Man, There was a Woman (133)
There was a Man, There was a Woman Video
Five minutes of free writing on whatever story you are thinking about writing on. Try to connect to the topic you are thinking about and what the support is going to be. What scenes come to mind?
- Thematic Interpretation – focus on theme in story or stories
- Character Analysis – Focus on character
- Close Reading – Argue for your reading of the story
- Book Review – Evaluate the merits of a book or story
- Author Extension – Continue a story, write a new story in the style of Sandra Cisneros, Retell a story from the book.
The Hidden Complexities of Clemencia
A proposal is a plan for the work that you will do in your next assignment.
You can analyze a character, theme, or any of the items we will discuss in class. Pick something that interests you.
An effective proposal has a narrow focus, clear thesis, includes primary claims, and context for why you think this is important to write about. Make sure you are annotating your book as you read so that you can easily find quotes and sections to include in your analysis paper.
- What story are you writing about?
- Which subgenre are you going to write?
- What is your focus or topic?
- Why are you writing about this? Why does it interest you?
- What are some topics you can research to help with your analysis?
Proposal is on Canvas, or comment below.
- Proposal on Canvas
- Chapter 5 (“And Yet”: Distinguishing What You Say from What They Say)
- Journal 7 on Canvas
- Rough Draft 2 Due