What do you think is the difference between Summary and Analysis?
Activity: Still-Life Writing
- List as many concrete details as you can see.
- List as many unique observations as you can.
- Write as descriptively as possible about the text.
- Descriptive language – appeals to the reader’s five senses: taste, touch, sight, smell, and hearing.
Use this strategy for your primary sources. Build on your concrete observation and evoke the image for your reader.
Dracula is the most famous vampire in literature and film.
Bram Stoker’s Dracula (1992)
Finally, the last image to analyze.
You should be quoting, citing, paraphrasing, and summarizing from the text. Most of your evidence should come from the text you are reviewing.
Either introduce the quote or reference in the sentence or cite after in the parenthetical citation.
You will be citing from the book in your essay. It is important that we learn how to do it correctly.
After Quisqueya tells the Riveras about Mayor and Maribel, she says, “I’m Sorry” (Henriquez 202).
Citing a source with one, two, or three or more authors.
- (Henriquez 202)
- (Best and Marcus 9)
- (Franck et al. 327)
Do we need more or less people in prison?
- Come up with reasons why we should have more people in prison.
- Come up with reasons why we should have less people in prison.
You have ten minutes to research and decide on your points. One person will present, all with research and contribute.
After both sides have presented, you will have 3 minutes to come up with rebuttal points to the other side.