Lets come up with a big list of problems we can possibly write about.
The proposal asks that we define a problem and come up with a solution that we can implement to the problem. It is important in critical thinking to think thought the decisions. If you come up with a solution, you have to think of the implications it will have. Will it lead to problems in the future? While we may not be able to predict with certainty if it will cause problems, we can think through it and anticipate some possible negative outcomes.
Obstacles to Critical Thinking
- The topic is too controversial.
- The topic hits “too close to home.” Personal experience with topic.
- The topic disgusts you.
Four Defining Traits of a Game
- Goal. The outcome that the players will work to achieve. It focuses attention and gives you a sense of purpose.
- Rules. Limitations on how to achieve the goal. It will unleash creativity and foster strategic thinking.
- Feedback System. Tells players how close they are to achieving their goal. Provides motivation to keep playing.
- Voluntary Participation. Requires that you knowingly accept the goal, rules, and the feedback. You have the freedom to enter and leave the game at will.
With these four ideas in mind, how can we apply this to this class and college at large?
- Read McCardell – Drinking Age of 21 Doesn’t Work
- Journal 2