Do you think the average person is good or bad? Is human nature fundamentally good or bad?
Our book does not cover paraphrase in detail. What is a paraphrase? What is the difference from a summary or quoting?
Summary v Paraphrase v Quoting
- Paraphrase means putting what you have read into your own words.
- You paraphrase by reading something, thinking about what it means, and then restating it in your own words.
- Paraphrasing is a useful strategy to check to be sure that you have understood when reading something difficult or something that is important to remember.
- If you cannot paraphrase after reading, it is important to go back and reread to clarify information.
You are going to be paraphrasing as we learn about Ideology.
What is ideology?
A system of ideas and ideals, especially one that forms the basis of economic or political theory and policy. “the ideology of republicanism”
In social studies, a political ideology is a certain ethical set of ideals, principles, doctrines, myths, or symbols of a social movement, institution, class, or large group that explains how society should work, and offers some political and cultural blueprint for a certain social order.
The set of ideas and beliefs of a group or political party.
Jonathan Haidt: Can a Divided America Heal?
20 Minutes. Jon Haidt is a Social Psychologist. Write down anything you think is important or that stands out to you. Write down any words you don’t know so we can make a list for everyone.
So the first thing that you have to always keep in mind when you’re thinking about politics is that we’re tribal. We evolved for tribalism. One of the simplest and greatest insights into human social nature is the Bedouin proverb:“Me against my brother; me and my brother against our cousin; me and my brother and cousins against the stranger.”
Write for three minutes on the point that stood out to you. What did the author say? Try to with hold your opinion in the summary portion. We will respond next.
The book includes many templates. Including to Disagree p. 60, Agreeing p. 62, and Agreeing and Disagreeing Simultaneously p. 64.
Write a response using the templates in chapter 4.
- Final Draft Essay 1 DUE
- Chapter 3 (“As He Himself Puts It”: The Art of Quoting)
- Sandra Cisneros, “Eleven” (6) JOURNAL 5 Summary/Response