We will be going over the 8th edition MLA citation Style. You can look under our resources page for MLA or APA guides. There are three things to consider for each style guide you use:
- Page Formatting
- In-Text Citations
- Works Cited/References Page
Why we cite.
- Establishes credibility.
- A road map. Scholarship is an ongoing conversation.
- It gives credit. Acknowledges those that contributed to your ideas.
Also called parenthetical citations.
One Author: (Ramos 1)
Two Authors: (Smith and Ramos 1)
Three or more Authors: (Ramos et al. 1)
Ethos is about values. In rhetoric we connect ethos to character, credibility, and trustworthiness. At their core, these concepts have to do with values. We tend to believe and trust those individuals who exemplify the values we cherish, who live the sort of life that we would want to live. Ethos Handout from University of Maryland
Ethos is inferred, NOT possessed. Five strategies for persuading through character.
- Personal info
- Identification with Audience
- Point of View
- Balanced Presentation
“I Have a Dream” Speech
Martin Luther King Jr. gave one of the best speeches in history. How does he develop his ethos? How does he use appeals to emotion and logic to get us to see his perspective. How does he persuade us to see the truth he knows?
Arguing a Solution
- Position. Take a clear position on an arguable topic.
- Reasons. Develop main reasons, keeping audience in mind.
- Evidence. Support all reasons with strong research.
- Opposition. Acknowledge the opposing argument and take it out.
To Clear the Ocean, We Target the Rivers
Clicking Originality Away: Social Media’s Effect On Young Female’s Self Esteem
Papers Please! The Illegal Immigration Problem
- Decide on problem to solve.
- Begin researching.